Natural acne treatment methods
Dr. Violeta Pîrvu
Acne is a skin condition that is caused by excessive sebum secretion in the sebaceous glands, which blocks the sebum drainage channels on the surface of the skin, causing inflammation and the appearance of comedones. Acne affects the face, neck, back, shoulders, chest, areas that are richer in sebaceous glands.
Causes of acne
Among the causes of acne we have:
- hormonal changes in both women and men, especially during puberty, but also during pregnancy in women, or related to a woman's menstrual cycle;
- poor diet: fried, excessively oily, spicy, salty foods, consumption of carbonated drinks, increased consumption of chocolate, coffee, black tea, alcohol, which leads to increased amount of toxins in the blood;
- lack of proper skin hygiene;
- use of skin cleansers that are inappropriate for your skin type, or that may cause irritation;
- excessive facial make-up;
- Clothing made of materials that do not allow sweat to be removed, such as synthetics, can aggravate acne in some areas of the body;
- certain irritants and pollutants in the environment;
- Psychological stress, due to the hormonal changes it produces, may be the cause of the development and maintenance of this condition.
Measures to prevent acne:
- Exposure to the sun's rays is highly recommended for preventing and even curing acne. Those affected by this condition may notice that exposure of the body to UV rays, leads to spectacular relief of the problems, because UV rays have an antibacterial and anti-infectious action on all living organisms and including the skin. Exposure of the body in the morning at sunrise, around 15 to 20 minutes, is extremely beneficial.
- natural diet rich in fresh and properly prepared fruit and vegetables, avoid fried, excessively spicy and salty foods, semi-prepared or fast food, foods with food additives, avoid coffee, alcohol, chocolate;
- using soaps and lotions appropriate to the type of skin we have (oily, dry or combination);
- avoid creams, make-up products with toxic-allergic potential, choose natural, organic ones;
Natural acne treatment
The Ayurveda consultation can determine the appropriate typology (Vata, Pitta or Kapha) for each patient and is designed to determine the final treatment and the appropriate diet, depending on the constitutional typology and the imbalance that has occurred.
- Ayurvedic treatment consists of administering medicinal plants according to the type of doshas (Vata, Pitta, Kapha) aggravated, combined with specific Ayurvedic purification techniques.
- You can also use depurative, blood detoxifying, anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic herbs: chicory (Cichorium intybus), dandelion (Taraxacum officinale), chamomile (Chamomilla recutita), burdock (Arctium lappa), nettle (Urtica dioica), sorrel (Achillea millefolium), three spotted fritillary (Viola tricolor), marigold (Calendula officinalis), hops (Humulus lupulus);
- Herbs for hormonal balancing - are determined by the doctor according to the hormonal profile of the person concerned;
- Essential oils: lavender oil, tee tree oil, lemon oil, lemon oil - in topical applications or in a steam atmosphere;
- Natural creams with anti-inflammatory herbs and natural antibiotics (propolis);
- Applications of clay masks combined with herbs - give very good results.
Herbs can be used in mixtures, either internally as a powder (held sublingually for 10-15 min and then swallowed with water) or as cold macerates or macerate compresses, or as poultices or creams applied to the skin.
Self-treatment of acne is not desirable as it can sometimes worsen the condition or make it more difficult to treat afterwards, the most appropriate being an Ayurvedic consultation with a specialist.